The Philippine Air Force conducted its annual Air Force Symposium at the Marriott Hotel Manila Ballroom, Newport Boulevard, Newport City, Pasay on June 04, 2019 with the Undersecretary of National Defense, Cardazo M. Luna as Guest of Honor and with General Yoshinari Marumo, Chief of Staff, Japan Air Self-Defense Force as special guest.
This year’s Air Force Symposium, with the theme: “Roles of Air Power for Security and Development in Ever-Changing Environment”, aims to highlight the significant roles of air power and in ensuring national security and development in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment. The AFS 2019 also specifically aims to:
- Engage defense proponents and examine innovations, concepts, and best practices in air power capability development that can be beneficial to the PAF in the future;
- Generate stakeholders’ support by engaging concerned government sectors to derive synergy of purpose and interlink resources for mutual benefit and sustained development;
- Acquire models in addressing non-traditional security challenges to enhance the effectiveness of PAF capabilities and maximize Integrated Air Operation Concept/ Integrated Air Operations System benefits; and,
- Foster international alliances with neighbors of similar strategic concerns.
The AFS 2019 is a one-day event which is divided into two sessions. The morning session which focuses on Operational-Technical approach which will feature presentations from Subject Matter Experts and Defense Exhibitors/ Symposium Sponsors related to relevant innovations on Integrated Air Defense and Command and Control, Communications, Computer and Intelligence (C4I) Systems.
The afternoon session, on the other hand, is the Policy-Academic Session which featured presentations from:
- Dr. Sanu Kainikara, Air Power Strategist, Air Power Development Center of the Royal Australian Air Force - "Air Power Roles in Southeast Asia: 2020 and Beyond";
- SLTC Chen Boon Chong, Deputy Head Air Operations for C4 of the Republic of Singapore Air Force - "The Future of C4I"; and,
- Air Commodore Kenneth Robinson CSC, Director General, Workforce Planning of the Royal Australian Air Force - "Transforming the Airmen: Modernizing the Philippine Air Force People Capability to Respond to the Challenges of the 4th Industrial Revolution and Beyond".
The Commanding General, PAF Lieutenant General Rozzano D Briguez AFP also spearheaded the pledge to the PGS Institutionalization of the PAF.
The Air Force Symposium is a pre-anniversary celebration of the PAF which will be celebrating its 72nd Founding Anniversary on July 01, 2019.