History

The 3rd AD early periods can be traced back during the height of World War II when a group of US Army Engineers was dispatched to Zamboanga to undertake rehabilitation of a poor Japanese Airfield and the following events took place as indicated in the unit orders.

On 10 March 1945 – A group of US Army Engineers arrived and undertook the construction of the airfield in Zamboanga City;

On 17 October 1955 – Activation of 533rd Air Base Squadron pursuant to General Orders Nr 564 General Headquarters, Armed Forces of the Philippines dated 25 October 1955;

On August 1972 – Activation of the 530th Air Base Group replacing 533rd Air Base Squadron pursuant to General Orders Nr 522 Headquarters Philippine Air Force dated 11 August 1972;

On 08 January 1974 – 530th Air Base Group was renamed 530th Composite Tactical Wing (Prov’l) pursuant to General Orders nr 309, Headquarters Philippine Air Force;

On 01 April 1976 – 530th Composite Tactical Wing (Prov’l) was upgraded to 3rd Air Division pursuant to General Orders nr 395 Headquarters Philippine Air Force dated 26 March 1976. While 530th Air Base Wing was subsequently created and placed under the command and control of 3rd Air Division pursuant to General Orders Nr 522 Headquarters Philippine Air Force dated 11 August 1976;

On 01 February 1999 – 3rd Air Division was deactivated and the 530th Air Base Wing was redesignated as 530th Composite Tactical Wing pursuant to General Orders Nr 16 Headquarters Philippine Air Force dated 11 January 1999. The 530th Composite Tactical Wing was placed under the command and control of Tactical Operations Command (TOC);

On 01 February 2001 – 530th Composite Tactical Wing was deactivated pursuant to General Orders Nr 32 Headquarters Philippine Air Force dated 31 January 2001and the 3rd Tactical Operations Wing was activated, but the mission, functions, troops disposition, and equipment remain the same; and

On 31 August 2007 – the 3rd Air Division and 530th Air Base Wing was reactivatedPursuant to General Order Nr 308 HPAF dated 31 August 2007.